What is Belly Wrapping or the Bengkung?
Bengkung is the ancient Malaysian art of belly binding using a cloth abdominal wrap to promote faster recovery and provide support to a mother’s body during the postpartum period. Our postpartum wraps are both based on a traditional design that gives 360 degree support to assist the abdominal wall muscle retraction, improve posture, stabilize loosened ligaments, and provide support to the torso while vital organs return to their pre-‐pregnancy size and position.
During the wrapping process, the mother is customarily given a massage with a herbal oil to further facilitate the healing process. We recommend using one of our Ayurvedic balancing body oils. This method of belly binding has increasingly become a holistic alternative to waist training garments and girdles more common in Western cultures.
Reported benefits include:
- Provides postural support for the torso and organs as they return to pre-‐ pregnancy position.
- Aides in restoring abdominal wall and diastasis recti recovery.
- Prevents and relieves shoulder and back discomfort.
- Reduction of excess fluid and air in the abdominal tissue and cells.
- Improves circulation.
- Decreases the length of postpartum bleeding.
- Provides physical comfort and support.
- Stabilization for ligaments.
- Prevents slouching while nursing your baby.
How do I use?
Belly binding can easily be done alone or for extra benefits have a trusted support person help you with massage and binding .Check out our instructional video on YouTube for an easy how-‐to-‐guide for the traditional bengkung.
The modern bengkung is used by wrapping the flat panels of cloth around your abdomen from the base of your hips to just below your bust and then it has simple thread through loops to guide you through the process of creating a bind on the abdomen.
Each Bengkung comes with it's own calico bag and additionally we supply a step-by-step brochure with each bengkung.
Can I wash the bengkung?
Absolutely, its important to wash them as they do absorb oil and sweat during the postpartum period, we recommend either hand washing with a gentle detergent or placing inside a smalls bag and using a gentle cycle on the washing machine. Do NOT use fabric softener.
What is the difference with the IBU AYURVEDA bengkungs?
- Both styles of the IBU AYURVEDA bengkung are gentle and free from restrictive and painful shape‐wear boning seen in corset style belly bands.
- We have included both styles on bengkungs in our collection to allow you to choose which style best supports you and your lifestyle.
- The structural support extends beyond the waist to the ribcage and hips.
- The material is unbleached cotton or Batik hand-died, which is soft, breathable, non-toxic and durable for hours of comfort.
- The bengkung adapts to your personal shape.
- Comes in a variety of traditionally dyed colours. IBU AYURVEDA supports women in developing nations by going above and beyond Fairtrade practices in the traditional manufacture process.
Please contact us or email email@example.com for further information.