Belly Binding with Ibu Ayurveda Bengkungs
Bengkung is the ancient Malaysian art of belly binding using a cloth abdominal wrap to promote faster recovery and provide support to a mother’s body during the postpartum period.
Our postpartum wraps are both based on a traditional design that gives 360 degree support.
Reported benefits include:
- Provides postural support for the torso and organs as they return to pre-‐ pregnancy position.
- Aides in restoring abdominal wall and diastasis recti recovery.
- Prevents and relieves shoulder and back discomfort.
- Reduction of excess fluid and air in the abdominal tissue and cells.
- Improves circulation.
- Decreases the length of postpartum bleeding.
- Provides physical comfort and support.
- Stabilization for ligaments.
- Prevents slouching while nursing your baby.
During the wrapping process, the mother is customarily given a massage with a herbal oil to further facilitate the healing process. We worked with a leading physician to formulate our crystal elixir enhanced Ayurvedic balancing body oils.
This method of belly binding has increasingly become a holistic alternative to waist training garments and girdles more common in Western cultures.
How do I use?
Belly binding can easily be done alone or for extra benefits have a trusted support person help you with massage and binding.
Both the Traditional Bengkung and the Modern Bengkung are simple to use, we have to step by step tutorials available for both of the styles and also more details video with both types. Please watch the instructional videos on YouTube for detailed guidance.
Whilst the traditional style requires many knots, the Modern loop through Bengkung is used by wrapping the flat panels of cloth around your abdomen from the base of your hips to just below your bust and then it has simple thread through loops to guide you through the process of creating a bind on the abdomen. This style is considered modern due to the ease of thread through loops.
Each Bengkung comes with a calico bag and postpartum guide brochure with link to the instructional video.
What makes IBU AYURVEDA bengkungs unique?
- Both styles of the IBU AYURVEDA bengkung are gentle and free from restrictive and painful shape‐wear boning seen in corset style belly bands.
- We have included both styles on bengkungs in our collection to allow you to choose which style best supports you and your lifestyle.
- The structural support extends beyond the waist to the ribcage and hips.
- The material is unbleached cotton or Batik hand-died, which is soft, breathable, non-toxic and durable for hours of comfort. We recommend washing in a lingerie bag with a gentle detergent - no fabric softener.
- The bengkung adapts to your personal shape and fits most sizes easily.
- Comes in a variety of traditionally dyed colours. IBU AYURVEDA supports women in developing nations by going above and beyond Fairtrade practices in the traditional manufacture process.
Please contact us or email email@example.com for further information.